Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Roles and Goals

I had lunch with one of my groomsmen today and we were talking about the sanctifying nature of being in a relationship. He is newly married and he said that it's easy to believe the lie that his primary motivation for his growth should be to help his wife grow. I definitely know how easy it can be to lose sight of God's glory. We are commanded to do all things for God's glory, but honestly, instead of seeking of God's glory, I will seek Laura's approval or to please her.

As we were discussing this, we got on the topic of a leadership exercise that was given to me several months back by an older married care group leader called "Roles and goals." This exercise is helpful for prioritizing and also seeing where our energy and effort is going so we can best reach the goals that we've been called to. The number 1 role on every Christian's list is to be a disciple of Christ. Unfortunately with everything that cries out for my attention, from being a fiance, employee, etc, I've discovered that it is easier for that role to slide further down on the list.

I can have different goals that I want to achieve in life. My role may vary depending on the environment, but if I am to love Laura and love for the reason that God has created me, then ultimately I must always seek His glory above all else. All other roles are secondary. Only by accomplishing the goal of living for His glory can I accomplish any good.

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. (Ephesians 2:10)"

No comments: