Friday, October 20, 2006

Enraptured Admiration

I've recently find myself amazed with the relationship that the saints of old had with God. Laura and I have been enjoying the new Chris Tomlin CD lately and one of the songs on it is the original version of Amazing Grace. The last verse is different then how it is typically sung now.

"The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, Who called me here below
Will be forever mine
Will be forever mine" Newton


In Heaven, God will be forever mine. This isn’t just a business relationship or a mere acquaintance, but this is an “enrapture admiration (John Calvin).” Newton understood that our earthly marriages are only a reflection of our relationship with God. There should be nothing that we are more passionately in love with then God and His glory.

What defines my life isn’t my marriage, my job or anything temporal in this life. What drives me in this life is what I look forward to in the next life. My life needs to be characterized now by making the most of having Christ as “mine.”

As I think about being a care group leader and asking how guys are doing in terms of spending with God I need to convey to them that it isn’t an issue of regularity in quiet times, but instead it is a matter pursuing intimacy with God through communing with Him by the means of prayer and His Word because. Having a quiet time isn’t about just reading the Word and praying, but instead it is admiring the beauty of the One whose blood purchased me. I want to whet my appetite now for Heaven’s delight because there is truly no other satisfaction here on earth then growing in the one that I was made for.

"Thou hast made us for thyself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they find their rest in thee." Augustine


Reason #57 why I am excited to marry Laura:
her heart to meet with God and be made more like Him!

No comments: