Friday, May 12, 2006

We Walk By Faith

I've encouraged a couple of friends the past couple of days about God's sovereignty using this quote from "The Exemplary Husband," by Stuart Scott: "no one could improve on God's perfect plan and perfect purpose for your life...Every man who hopes to honor God and know true contentment in this life must be thoroughly convinced that God's ways are perfect."

I know that one of my biggest sinful tendencies when I look at circumstances is to ask the "what-if" questions to see what I could have done to avoid how I got to where I am. Even worse, I'll sometimes take my current situation and compare it to my ideal situation. It's almost like I have a chart that I want to show God and make the statement, "Now God, if you look at what we currently have here and what I would have preferred it's obvious that if we would have done things my way then things would have turned out much better then doing things Your way." Seriously, how ludicrous is that?!?!

Sinful thinking like this does not take into account the trustworthiness of God. It no longers takes into account the goodness of God. All of a sudden instead of God being all-knowing, His thinking and knowledge become wrong as I place myself on the throne and create the idol of me and my dreams.

When I am believing truth I have no reason to doubt God's plans for me. My pride is crushed as I realize that I don't deserve anything He's given to me, whether good or bad, and I worship Him for always treating me better then I deserve. When I bow before the cross I realize that He has done the ultimate good for me and will never cease to work all things for my good. As I view my life in light of the cross I see that I am a son because of Christ blood and the Father is continually growing me into His image, He doesn't always use the circumstances I'd choose, but He always uses those that are best and will work for my good and His glory.

I am finite, but He is eternal. He is all-wise and and I am a goober. God knows every circumstance and detail, even the ones that I don't know and when I humble myself before Him I realize that even though I may not know the end outcome, I can be confident that He will work all things for my good. When I take myself off the throne I realize that there is none like my Lord. He is majestic in holiness, awesome in praises and working wonders (Exodus 15:11).

No comments: