Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Cross

"For every one look at your sins, take ten looks at Christ."--Robert Murray McCheyne

I know I've posted that quote before, but in light of last nights discussion on the doctrine of sin the magnitude of this quote really hit me. Issac shared a really good definition of sin from J.C. Ryle's "Holiness," that basically states any thought, action, or word that is not in conformity with God's law is sin. This knowledge of a person's own sinfulness can lead them either to despair because they never measure up or an attitude that stops pursuing holiness. The answer our sinful state is the cross.

When we see our sin we need to come to the cross. At the cross sinful man is allowed to commune with a holy God. If I see my sin and then instantly go to the cross then my whole life is lived under the cross. There is a law inside of me that wars against the spirit that wants to do good, because of this law I don't do the good I desire and therefore I see my need even more for the cross. There is never a moment that I am not a sinner in desperate of need of His merciful and abundant grace!

As Mark Lauterbach states, "if I am not confessing sin I am confessing sinlessness. And we know that does not happen." Thankfully when I confess I glory in my God knowing that He is faithful to forgive and faithful to provide power to grow.

20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin
abounded, grace abounded much more, 21 so that as sin reigned in death, even so
grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our
Lord. (Romans 5:20-21).

No comments: