Monday, August 21, 2006

New Season

Last Tuesday Laura and I entered into a new season at CLC. Typically this would be the time when most engaged couples join a married care group. A few months back we were asked by the single's ministry to lead a care group. This past Tuesday was our first time leading our new group together. Spurgeon has a great quote today on"Morning and Evening," about caring for others.


"He that watereth shall be watered also himself."—Proverbs 11:25.
We are here taught the great lesson, that to get, we must give; that to accumulate, we must scatter; that to make ourselves happy, we must make others happy; and that in order to become spiritually vigorous, we must seek the spiritual good of others. In watering others, we are ourselves watered. How? Our efforts to be useful, bring out our powers for usefulness. We have latent talents and dormant faculties, which are brought to light by exercise.
It's neat to think about the new adenture of leading this group. One of the tendencies that I have is to think about all that I have to do to faithfully lead this group. Yes, there are imperatives for leadership, but the refreshing thing is God's promise and His ability to grow me through the ups and downs. Right now, being a new leader, if I am to become a better leader, I must lead. There is no better training ground, but being bold and trusting God. As I exercise the little ability I have, God will work in me to increase my ability.

As I was meditating on God's promise to grow me in leadership, new application for the verse walk by faith and not by sight came to mind. In any leadership context, whether it's this new group or leading Laura, disappointment or failure should not be the overriding emotion when plans don't go my way. Instead, I can be filled with hope because I know that God is watering me and training me for the future. Even though I may not see the present fruit at the moment I can be confident that God is working during those times and that He hasn't left me, but He is preparing me for the future. My faith isn't in the results that I can see, but in the God that I serve. Therefore, I can be confident that as I pour myself out, He will indeed water me and replenish me.

No comments: