Monday, June 19, 2006

Give Me Jesus

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." (Romans15:13)

The above verse is very applicable to me right now. There is definitely a temptation not to have my hope be in Him. This easily leads to a lack of contentment. For instance, I've had people ask me how many days until the wedding. I've had to explain to them that I've stopped counting. Counting down to the day of wedding led me to hope in that day more then I hope in God. I've actually noticed that pattern in my life, that I will hope more for future earthly events then in the goodness, power and love of my Lord. When I kneel before the cross, I realize the ultimate reason for hope.

It's neat to think that the God we serve is the God of hope. If we place our trust and belief in Him and not anything earthly, then in all things we can be filled with joy and peace. He sent His son to die for us, so if God will do that for us, how will He not also do all other things (Romans 8:32). In whatever circumstance we are going through God wants us to be filled with hope because of the cross. The reason we can be filled with hope is because God's promises never fail. If we endure, we will obtain the promise (Hebrews 6:15). Therefore, let us always lay hold of this hope which is the anchor of our soul (Hebrews 6:19-20).

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. (Romans 8:18)."

No comments: