How do we show honor to the important women in our lives. The key is through communication. Communication happens in two ways(bear with me here); verbal and non-verbal. When we seek to honor wives we must use not just words, but also action.
What does verbally honoring our wives look like. Just a few suggestions
- Encourage more then discourage
- Seek to build her up, especially with others
- Pray for her
- Ask questions about her day
- Speak in a kind and gentle tone
- Do not be condescending or belittling
What does non-verbally honoring our wives look like
- Seek to serve instead of be served.
- Know her schedule and when you forsee a rough day for her, have a surprise planned.
- Know her likes and dislikes so you know what blesses her.
- Know her fears so you can comfort her
- Know her temptations so you can protect her
- Know her needs so you can bless her
- Know her limitations so you can better serve her.
As it appears from the above, to honor a wife verbally is a lot easier then doing it non-verbally. Before any action can take place, a husband must be a student of his wife. After being a student of his wife a husband can't just stand idly by once he's obtained that information about his wife, but he must use it to communicate love and affection. Anyone can read the lines of a script or say the right words, but living those words and truly being the part of a husband is only possible through the grace of God.
Feel free to comment if you have any thoughts about how to show honor and love, cuz we all know that I am no expert.