Friday, July 14, 2006

Scripture Memorization conviction

"Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You." (psalm 119:11).

A couple of weeks ago I blogged about a conviction about prayer. My latest conviction has been about Scripture memorization. I was talking to my accountability partner about wanting to memorize Scripture more consistently. A couple of days later, providentially, I read a statement about how many Christians know truth because it was taught to them but can't quote a specific Scripture. Unfortunately, I fall into the category. I can often times paraphrase a passage or tell someone I know something is in Scripture, but not be quite positive about the location or the exact phrasing.

I want to hide God's word in my heart and be able to meditate on it daily. When asked about Christ deity, God's sovereignty or anything about Scripture I want to know immediately where to go in Scripture, whether it's opening up the Bible or speaking from parts of the Bible I have memorized. I want my thoughts to be constantly on God's word and cultivate my mind as a garden for His truth.

No comments: