Monday, October 16, 2006

Marrying my best friend

Earlier tonight I had a chance to talk to an old friend from high school. It's interesting, I remember my senior year of high school my old Young Life leader discipled myself and two other guys. We called ourselves, "The Fishermen's club," because we were called to be Fishers of Men. We all went to different high schools, but we were all really close and best friends. We ended up going to different colleges, but made a pact to stay in touch.

Staying in touch has proved harder then we thought. One of the guys is still back home in South Bend, I'm out here on the east coast and another guy is in Hawaii. With our busy lives it's very rare that three of us get to see each other, although we do talk on the phone once every few months. I remember a conversation a few years back where we talked about being in each others wedding. The first guy got married this past summer and none of the fishermen were there. For my wedding in December none of the fishermen will be able to make it either.

With college, my internship and moving out here, I have always felt like a bit of a nomad. I have had some friendships and relationships that have come and gone, even ones that I would last the test of time. Two months from today I will be marrying my best friend and having someone who will always be there. There won't be any moving away from each other, but actually getting to live life together and sharing every moment as we grow in Christ. What a blessing this is for me that I sometimes struggle to comprehend. Every other friendship has been for a season, but this will be a joining of two lives. For better or for worse, till death do us part.

Reason #61 why I am excited to marry Laura...
I will be marrying my best friend

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yay! Can't wait my love ;)

Mr. and Mrs. said...

Very sweet and very true! That's my favorite parts of being married to my best friend. :c) What a gift from God to have such a friend for life!