Sunday, July 22, 2007

Living in the power of the gospel

Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you, what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.” –Hebrews 13:20-21


This past week I led our single’s care group on a discussion about the power of God. The above Hebrews passage is not one that I’d typically think of when I think about God’s power except for until I read what Matthew Henry wrote about the verse.


“He (Jesus) rose again for our justification; and that divine power by which he was raised is able to do every thing for us that we stand in need of.” Matthew Henry.


As I meditated on this passage it rocked my world to think about how the power that is found in my forgiveness of sins, is the same power that God gives me to do all things. It is an easy thing to assume the forgiveness of sins, but the real difference is when we find power for all of our needs to be met and strength to glorify God in all that we seek after. Anyone can say that “your sins are forgiven,” bug God has given us more then just forgiveness, He has given us His Spirit then at allows us to do more then we could ever ask or think of. (Matthew 9:1-8, Ephesians 3:20-21)

This power that is available through Christ blood is magnified by an awareness of weakness. If I am self-sufficient I can accomplish nothing. If I humble myself then God will lift me up and give me strength.


“When we are really weak in ourselves and are conscious of that weakness, we are in the state suited to the manifestation of God’s power. When we are emptied of ourselves, we are filled with God. Those who think they can change their own hearts, atone for their own sins, subdue the power of evil in their own souls or in the souls of others, who feel able to sustain themselves under affliction, God leaves to their own resources. But when they feel and acknowledge their weakness, he imparts divine strength to them.” Charles Hodge


What a dreadful thing to be left to my own resources. I know I am a goober. How thankful I am that I can place my hope in God and know that He is faithful to His children. I have no hope apart from Him, but in Him I find strength for all trials and every circumstance that happens in life.


“Jehovah who created all things is equal to every emergency; heaven and earth are at the disposal of Him who made them, therefore let be very joyful in our infinite helper.” Spurgeon.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I love that last line love! Thank you for posting this ;)