Tuesday, July 10, 2007

When Sinners say "I Do"


Calling all married couples out there! If you haven't already picked up this book, I so highly recommend it! Even after just reading the first chapter I was so encouraged and filled with hope for our marriage to continue to grow and strengthen...with the help of the gospel that is!

Towards the end of the first chapter Harvey starts talking about Street theology...he describes this as "trying to exercise our faith in a world where couples get angry and doors get slammed."

Here's a little glimpse into the first chapter under this section:

"The sober truth is that without full disclosure on sin, the gospel of grace becomes impertinent, unnecessary, and finally uninteresting. Without a full disclosure on sin, blind self -confidence will compel us to try to make our marriages work on our own strength. And whatever we try to do in our own strength does not have as its goal the glory of God and does not get its life from the fountain of the gospel....What if you abandoned the idea that the problems in your marriage are caused by a lack of information, dedication, or communication? What if you saw your problems as they truly are: caused by a war within your own heart?

If you happen to be reading this book in the glow of a blissful honeymoon, now would be a good time to lean over to your sugarplumhoneykins and whisper softly, "I'm a really big sinner-and I'm yours for life."

That's how you do street theology in marriage."


What a sweet revelation! It's so refreshing to be reminded that the strength of our marriage comes from the Gospel! I so often forget this and try to lean on my own strength and then become weary and overwhelmed by my sin and weakness. I think marriage is the one area I consistently forget to apply the gospel to! I think that has to do in part to the lies that come from this world saying what marriage is all about.

In the last part, the message to newlyweds made me chuckle. I remember very keenly our honeymoon (it was only 7 months ago ;) ) I didn't have to make that little statement...It wasn't long before Lew knew I was a big sinner! But he has joyfully hung in there..and by God's grace will do so for life.

No comments: