Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Debtor to grace

I was reading Isaiah 59 and when I got to verse 12 I realized how I contributed nothing to my salvation.


For our transgressions are multiplied before You,
And our sins testify against us;
For our transgressions are with us,
And as for our iniquities, we know them: (Isaiah 59:12)


But thankfully, there is an Intercessor who has won my salvation for me by bearing my sin and shame. "God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8)." That led me to write this meditation on Isaiah 59 this morning.


Oh Lord, how amazing your unfailing love and unstoppable power!
Despite my wickedness and sin, You became my righteousness.
Although I was at war with You, You ended my striving;
Bringing me into the light by making peace
With sacrificing Your Son on the cross for me.

Best case scenario, I was blind to You.
Worst case scenario, I was dead and could do no good.
In each scenario I was helpless and had no hope.

You saw my transgressions rapidly multiplying;
You heard my sin railing against You;
You felt my iniquities attacking Your character;
You knew there was no salvation
That I could attain on my own,
Therefore You brought salvation to me
By making Your Son wear my imperfection,
Pouring out your holy and just wrath on Your perfect Son,
Allowing me to wear His righteousness
And be reconciled to you.

Even in this state of redemption
I still walk as if I don’t know You.
As my sin abounds,
Your grace abounds even more.
The power of Your love holds me.
There is nothing I can do to escape the grip of Your mercy.

No comments: