Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Delivering babies...and life

Life has dramatically changed the past few weeks, probably very evident by my lack of updating(and for some of you phone calls that haven't been returned!)...and that usually means one thing: school is consuming a majority of my time.

Yup the forgetfulness of everything important except medical terminology and all things clinical has begun...and even that has been more of a challenge this semester ;) The long summer break definitely made it a little harder for me to get back into school mode and not only that, but this is our last semester!! Hard to believe that graduation is right around the corner. Either way this semester has had a very exciting start! Yesterday was our first full clinical day in Labor and Delivery...what an amazing experience it was [right Maureen! ;)]. My friend Glenda and I had the opportunity to go right into a C-section and see a little boy come into this world and there are no words to put with this experience, it's just quite miraculous. We had the opportunity to do the babies first assessments, give it's first medications, get it's first weight, and take him on his first elevator ride ;) It was such a great experience. We also had the opportunity to spend most of the afternoon with the other Mom's recovering from their C-sections and there were so many cute little babies only a few hours old to ooh and ahh over. So, when I came home after our long day Lew got an earful about the whole experience....and how maybe I could see myself being this kind of nurse...we'll see ;)

In other news our two good friends Mark and Brandy got married this past Saturday! It was such a precious wedding. These two are very special to us and it was a joy to be a part of their special day. Here are some pictures:

This was how Mark looked as Brandy was walking down the isle. Priceless.
Isn't she beautiful! She was smiling at him in this picture ;)

Cutting the cake
My love and I. He was a groomsman, doesn't he look so handsome in his tux ;)

Well that's really all I have time for now. I do have a few recipes that I may (or may not!) post in the next couple days.

5 comments:

Charissa said...

Aww Laura that's so exciting, I've been praying for you, I'm glad you're enjoying school, I miss you so much and love you tons! The picture of you and Lew at the wedding was so great too, you're o beautiful : )...I'm glad the wedding went well, Mark & Brandy are so sweet! Well I hope to hear from you soon <3 Riss

Rebecca Nugent said...

Hi, Lew and Laura! This is Rebecca Nugent (formerly from CGS in Bloomington). Just wanted to let you guys know that we will be moving from Nashville to Reston, VA in summer '08, where Nick has a job. We'd love to catch up with you, Lew, and finally meet you, Laura.

And that is so cool that you got to do labor and delivery, Laura. If I had the stomach for blood and guts, I might have become a nurse myself, just for the sake of helping to deliver babies:)

Rachel said...

I loved my L&D clinical, too... I don't think I would ever get tired of watching babies come into the world!! I like the color on Lew's tux... that is very fun and looks great with your dress that looks o-so-familiar. :)

Mrs. Ellis said...

I love your blog laura! Seeing a baby born is the greatest miracle! You are going to be a great nurse and mommy someday (soon )

Beka said...

Hi Laura!
I've enjoyed reading through your blog over the past couple of weeks and getting to know you a bit better. Thank you for the words of encouragement you left on my blog last month during the difficult time my husband and I were facing, with the loss of our second child.
Anyway, looks like we have a lot in common. I am a nurse too, and although I'm not working any more, I worked most recently in Neonatal Intensive Care and loved it. We had the opportunity to attend all the high-risk deliveries, and as you said, there is just nothing like being able to witness the birth of a new little one. I hope you continue to enjoy your L&D clinical.
And also-- I have a sister named Charissa, too! Kind of threw me for a second when I saw your sister's name on your blog... don't know if I've ever seen another Charissa before, at least not spelled that way.

Well, I think I've taken up enough space here for now, but I'll come back soon and visit again.

Love to you!!
Rebekah